[Openstack] Distributed configuration database

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Nov 3 06:38:30 UTC 2012

One thing to bear in mind when considering a network API for this -
beyond the issue of dealing with network interruptions gracefully - is
dealing with version skew: while deploying a new release of Openstack,
the definition of truth may be different for each version, so you need
to either have very high quality accept-old-configurations-code in
openstack (allowing you to never need differing versions of truth), or
you need a system (such as Puppet) that can parameterise what it
delivers based on e.g. the software version in question.

-Rob