[Openstack] Greatest deployment?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu May 24 09:45:48 UTC 2012

SoLa wrote:
> Few days ago I read something about OpenNebula,it's the main competitor
> in open source for Openstack, beside Eucalyptus, as far as i know.

OpenNebula and Eucalyptus (as well as CloudStack) are alternative
solutions in the open source IaaS Compute space. Note that OpenStack
provides more than just IaaS Compute feature (Nova), it also addresses
object storage (Swift), or network (Quantum)...

> found (http://blog.opennebula.org) something about "tens of thousands of
> VMs" and OpenNebula's performance (maybe CERN has such huge deployment,
> who knows they didn't mention that) and I'm just wondering what about
> Openstack performance. Can anyone praise about biggest deployments? How
> many VMs can Openstack actually supervise? Any large-scale achievements?

OpenStack is being used to power public clouds (HP, Rackspace, AT&T,
Internap, Korea Telecom, SDSC...). Those are unfortunately notoriously
shy at sharing size numbers :)

> OpenNebula has also this advantage, for me, that it's designed also to
> provide scientific cloud and it's used by few research centres and even
> supercomputing centres. How about Openstack? Anyone tried deploy it in
> supercomputing environment? Maybe huge cluster or GPU cluster or any
> other scientific group is using Openstack? Is anyone using Openstack in
> scentific environement or Openstack's purpose is to create commercial
> only cloud (business - large and small companies)?

OpenStack is being used in a number of research clouds, including NeCTAR
(Australia's national research cloud). There is huge interest around
bridging the gap there, with companies like Nimbis or Bull being involved.

Hopefully people with more information than I have will comment on this
thread.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack