[Openstack] Greatest deployment?

John Paul Walters jwalters at isi.edu
Thu May 24 12:49:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

On May 24, 2012, at 5:45 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:

>> OpenNebula has also this advantage, for me, that it's designed also to
>> provide scientific cloud and it's used by few research centres and even
>> supercomputing centres. How about Openstack? Anyone tried deploy it in
>> supercomputing environment? Maybe huge cluster or GPU cluster or any
>> other scientific group is using Openstack? Is anyone using Openstack in
>> scentific environement or Openstack's purpose is to create commercial
>> only cloud (business - large and small companies)?
>
> OpenStack is being used in a number of research clouds, including NeCTAR
> (Australia's national research cloud). There is huge interest around
> bridging the gap there, with companies like Nimbis or Bull being involved.
>
> Hopefully people with more information than I have will comment on this
> thread.

We're developing GPU, bare metal, and large SMP (think SGI UV) support for Openstack and we're targeting HPC/scientific computing workloads.  It's a work in progress, but we have people using our code and we're talking to folks about getting our code onto nodes within FutureGrid.  We have GPU support for LXC right now, and we're working on adding support for other hypervisors as well.  We're also working on getting the code into shape for merging upstream, some of which (the bare metal work) has already been done.  We had an HPC session at the most recent Design Summit, and it was well-attended with lots of great input.  If there are specific features that you're looking for, we'd love to hear about it.

By the way, all of our code is available at https://github.com/usc-isi/nova, so if you'd like to try it out before it gets merged upstream, go for it.

best,
JP