[Openstack] Fwd: ceilometer (java implementation)

Luis Gervaso luis at woorea.es
Wed May 9 17:15:55 UTC 2012

Forgot to copy the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Luis Gervaso <luis at woorea.es>
Date: Wed, May 9, 2012 at 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Openstack] ceilometer (java implementation)
To: Doug Hellmann <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>

I asked for these fields in my previous email, they are not clear enough.

After analyze the problem, i ended that metrics can not be calculated per
event. We need at least 2 events to calculate the duration (start/end) in
some metrics. We can afford this on the counter processes, but it requires
an update of the previous pesisted start event.

So as we can calculate this info everywhere, and i don't like updates on
the counters logic i'm calculating the duration as part of
agreggation/mediation process (this will be only a view of the raw data).

This way we maintain a very simple logic on the counters:

* counters listen for specific events
* the interpretation of raw data can be outside