[Openstack] ceilometer (java implementation)

Luis Gervaso luis at woorea.es
Wed May 9 16:46:30 UTC 2012

That's fantastic!

What I mind is that the counters only should gather event info.

Maybe multiple counters listening, collecting info about the system. But
only one persist the event.

Other process agreggates the data and creates different
views/reports/billing, this should be outside of openstack (since it
depends on the business rules, not depends on the infrastructure)

The agreggator, also should offer an api for polling or can be configured
throught drivers to push the the 3rd
systems

Now, in my implementation i'm putting all the stuff on a directory but it
can be as well:

- AMQP
- SQL / NoSQL

(the persistent layer shold be interchangeable)

So as response to your duration question, this think is out scope for the
counter tasks.

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 5:30 PM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com>wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 7:19 PM, Luis Gervaso <luis at woorea.es> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have uploaded a toy version of ceilometer (java implementation).
>>
>> It does implement the first two counters (instance : rabbitmq listener
>> and cpu : polling from libvirt)
>>
>> i need more clarification on the meaining:
>>
>> counter_volume
>> counter_duration
>> counter_datetaime
>>
>> I hope this helps to figure out how to agreggate these data.
>>
>> http://github.com/woorea/ceilometer-java
>

> Nice!
>
> I have also been experimenting. I have some Python code in
> https://github.com/dhellmann/metering-prototype that listens for
> notifications related to instances (create, delete, exists) and converts
> them to counter output (see spy.py). There is also a pair of scripts for
> recording an event stream and playing it back (useful for testing, see
> recorder.py and player.py). I don't have any libvirt polling, yet, though.
>
> In the course of looking at the notifications being generated for
> different scenarios, I discovered that the instance delete messages do not
> have any duration information right now. I don't know if that is a bug, or
> if the idea is to figure out the durations from looking at the most recent
> "exists" event. What do other people think?
>
> Doug

Luis Alberto Gervaso Martin
Woorea Solutions, S.L
CEO & CTO