[Openstack] ssh not authenticating

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 21 14:38:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012, udit agarwal wrote:

> Hi Mandar,
>   Thanks for your reply. But I am still stuck in the problem. I tried with
> cirros but with no luck. And for the next one, the system still asks me for
> password, but it was supposed to be password-less. Can anybody help me with
> this??

As Alexey pointed out, the password for cirros is "cubswin:)".
The *user* is 'cirros'.

So, to login with password auth:
  ssh cirros@<ip-address-here>

password-less ssh *should* work and should *not* depend on filesystem
injection by nova.  cirros will read the public keys specified from the
metadata service and import them into the cirros user's account.

You have to specify a key when you launch the instance either by:
  * nova boot --key_name KEYNAME
or
  * euca-run-instances --key KEYNAME

To debug why passwordless ssh is not working:
 * get the console output of the instance.  It likely is complaining that
   it cannot find the metadata service.
 * ssh in with password auth and run 'ec2metadata --public-keys'.  This
   will probably fail.

Basically, I suspect that your metadata service is not available to the
instance.

Scott