[Openstack] ssh not authenticating

Alexey Ababilov aababilov at griddynamics.com
Fri Jun 22 11:10:28 UTC 2012

Hi, Scott!

I knew that the password was already on the cirros image. However, we (Grid
Dynamics engineers) faced a strange problem:
1) if an instance is launched without an ssh key, you can login using the
password (generated by nova in our case);
2) if an instance is launched _with_ an ssh key, you cannot login using
either password or the ssh key.

So, VM's filesystem synchronization can be a dark and tricky thing. That's
why we are not guaranteed to login by password even if the password was
stored in the image originally.

Alessio Ababilov
Software Engineer
Grid Dynamics