[Openstack] Translation and Internationalization in OpenStack

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Wed Jun 20 19:24:51 UTC 2012

Hi, Anne

See my answers below.

Regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

annegentle at justwriteclick.com wrote on 06/20/2012 11:01:22 PM:

> Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org>
> Sent by: annegentle at justwriteclick.com
>
> 06/20/2012 11:01 PM

> Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN,
>
> cc
>
> Gabriel Hurley <Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com>,
> "openstack at lists.launchpad.net" <openstack at lists.launchpad.net>
>
> Subject
>
> Re: [Openstack] Translation and Internationalization in OpenStack
>
> Hi Daisy -
>
> Thanks for all the work.
>
> A couple of questions:
> I thought the plan was to start with install guide(s) only? It looks
> like you brought in all the openstack-manuals repository as resources.
> I'd prefer just
> https://www.transifex.net/projects/p/openstack-manuals-i18n/
> resource/openstack-install/
> and /common to be the resources for starters.

<Daisy> do we have plans? :))
I generated those PO template by a program. It's very easy to remove
some resources at the beginning and add them in the future.
I think, the administration guides are as important as the install guide(s)
for users. Do you want to focus the translation efforts on a certain
document
so that we can have one completely translated document much earlier?
We may write some sentences in the web page and show our priorities to the
translators.

> Was this content brought in from the stable/essex or master branch?
> How can a translator know which branch the source is from?

<Daisy> This content is brought from the master branch.
I cloned a manuals repository in Github for me to do the test.

Transifex has a client which is very similar to a VCS (version control
systems)
Transifex Client can be integrated into a Git repository.
Using this tool and Github, we can manage the different versions of
translation files
for different branches.

Here is a sample for your reference:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Setting_up_a_document_with_Transifex

If we choose to use Transifex, we can have a similar wiki page to guide
translators
and users how to work with them.

> How will updates to the English version of the manuals get into
> Transifex? Is there a "freeze date" the English authors need to be
> aware of?
<Daisy> This need to be considered as we continue the work.

For now, I think the most important thing is to build a Maven plugin,
which can merge the translation segments back into DocBooks, update a
few of the DocBook contents if necessary (for example, add an attribute to
<DocBook> to specify the language), and then generate HTML and PDF as the
result. When the Maven plugin is ready, we can be able to build documents
in
multiple languages with single command.

Do you want this plugin to be a part of clouddocs-maven-plugin, or be a new
project?
I had some experiences in Maven plugin before. I'd like to have a try on
that.

> Are you interested in presenting your translation methods at the APEC
> conference in Beijing in August? See http://openstack.csdn.net/. We
> definitely want to make this effort well known.
<Daisy> Yes, I'm interested in.
I'm sure Chinese people is eager to have an Chinese version of documents.
We are a community. You contribute, you have.
After we broadcast it in APEC conference, we will have many more
contributors.