[Openstack] List of glance image metadata tags used by nova ?

Brian Waldon brian.waldon at rackspace.com
Wed Jun 13 14:59:59 UTC 2012

There hasn't been much process around choosing what metadata keys to use from Nova, and the best way to figure out what we do use is to trace through the code. Doing that, I found instance_uuid, user_id, image_type, backup_type, kernel_id, ramdisk_id, architecture, mappings, block_device_mapping, image_state, image_location and root_device_name. There may be more that I missed.

With the v2 Images API, we will be able to much better control this integration point between Nova and Glance. We'll be able to publish schemas that detail what these attributes are and enforce contracts for each individual attribute.

Brian Waldon