[Openstack] List of glance image metadata tags used by nova ?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 12:40:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 07:59:59AM -0700, Brian Waldon wrote:
> There hasn't been much process around choosing what metadata keys to
> use from Nova, and the best way to figure out what we do use is to
> trace through the code. Doing that, I found instance_uuid, user_id,
> image_type, backup_type, kernel_id, ramdisk_id, architecture, mappings,
> block_device_mapping, image_state, image_location and root_device_name.
> There may be more that I missed.

I was afraid that 'grepping the source' would  be the answer :-)

> With the v2 Images API, we will be able to much better control this
> integration point between Nova and Glance. We'll be able to publish
> schemas that detail what these attributes are and enforce contracts
> for each individual attribute.

This sounds like a very good improvement. Is there any documentation
or blueprint about the v2 images API can I read up on.

In the meantime, I'll just carry on with the current ad-hoc practice
for parameters I need to add.

> On Jun 13, 2012, at 2:34 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > I was recently pointed at this changeset which adds CPU arch filtering
> > to the Nova schedular.
> >
> >  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/8267/
> >
> > IIUC, this relies on any disk images registered with glance having a
> > 'architecture' metadata tag assigned.
> >
> > Some of the plans I have for improving the Libvirt driver for Nova
> > will be greatly helped by having other various metadata tags against
> > disk images.
> >
> > This leads me to wonder if there is any defined list of glance image
> > metadata used/supported by Nova (possibly with common semantics across
> > all hypervisor drivers) ? Or are developers just making up metadat tag
> > names as we go along ?
> >
> > Following on, is there any place where this info is to be included in
> > end user documentation, so people deploying openstack know what tags
> > they should use when registering images ?

Regards,
Daniel