[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Wed Jul 4 01:17:25 UTC 2012

Interestingly enough - gerrit supports submodules pretty well... and it
does exactly what Eric said below ... if both the project and
superproject are in gerrit, and a change is made to the project, gerrit
can automatically update the superproject reference.

Here's the thing though (and one of the reasons we haven't actually
earnestly suggested using this for anything yet) ... testing

If you propose a change to openstack-common and we were going to use the
auto-update feature, we'd need to test that that change doesn't break
ALL of the projects that use it. Now, what if nova is going to need a
patch to use the new version of the code. Oops. Complexity. Overload.
Everyone dies.

However, with a versioned library model, the projects can consume things
pinned to specific versions, and then they can submit a change that
updates the version depend and the code which needs to be updated to
support the version change, and that change can be atomic.

So honestly, I'd say the real key is getting us closer to the point
where openstack-common is a proper library, because all of the rest of
the complexity is stuff we're inventing to make life harder on
ourselves, when the standard library with api-contract and a version
model of the world works pretty fine without needing coordinated changes
across multiple repositories.