[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Timothy Daly timjr at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Jul 4 00:27:42 UTC 2012

I've been following along at home a bit.  I can totally see where it's desirable to have well thought out APIs that you can commit to supporting and encourage other people to use.  And that you sometimes have expedient code that you aren't as comfortable with.

What I don't get is how using a different mechanism to make libraries makes the code any less of a library.  Just make it a library using normal packaging methodology, call it version 0.1, and put a README that says "we're not real comfortable with this API yet".  That accomplishes the same thing, but it's a lot less hairy.

Cheers,
Tim