[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jul 4 09:57:21 UTC 2012

Monty Taylor wrote:
> However, with a versioned library model, the projects can consume things
> pinned to specific versions, and then they can submit a change that
> updates the version depend and the code which needs to be updated to
> support the version change, and that change can be atomic.
>
> So honestly, I'd say the real key is getting us closer to the point
> where openstack-common is a proper library, because all of the rest of
> the complexity is stuff we're inventing to make life harder on
> ourselves, when the standard library with api-contract and a version
> model of the world works pretty fine without needing coordinated changes
> across multiple repositories.

Yes, that's the end goal. And IMHO we are not very far away. I think the
main reason we are not there yet is that while a lot of people enjoy
giving their opinions about how openstack-common should be done and
consumed by projects, not so many people follow up and actually do the work.

Making our multiple projects converge onto consolidated and
well-accepted APIs is a bit painful work, but it is a prerequisite to
turning openstack-common into a proper library (or set of libraries).

I'd say the whole thing suffers from not having a proper
team/leader/coordinator dedicated to it: relying on existing,
overstretched PTLs to lead that effort might not be the fastest path.

Regards,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack