[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jul 3 09:35:02 UTC 2012

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Gabriel Hurley wrote:
>> On a more fundamental level, did I miss some tremendous reason why we have this "merge from common" pattern instead of making OpenStack Common a standard python dependency just like anything else? Especially with the work Monty has recently done on versioning and packaging the client libs from Jenkins, I can't see a reason to keep following this "update common and merge to everything else" pattern at all...
>
> This discussion should probably wait for markmc to come back, since he
> set up most of this framework in the first place. He would certainly
> produce a more compelling rationale than I can :)

Actually http://wiki.openstack.org/CommonLibrary explains it quite well.
In particular:

"openstack-common also provides a process for incubating APIs which,
while they are shared between multiple OpenStack projects, have not yet
matured to meet the [library inclusion] criteria described above."

"Incubation shouldn't be seen as a long term option for any API - it is
merely a stepping stone to inclusion into the openstack-common library
proper."

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack