[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Joshua Harlow harlowja at yahoo-inc.com
Tue Jul 3 17:46:42 UTC 2012

I think that's a good little explanation as to why we have openstack-common, but when did it become a good reason to copy code around via an inclusion mechanism?

Lots of code is in packages (outside of openstack, in pypi and elsewhere) that is also in 'incubation' (in fact, what code isn't in perpetual incubation), that's why u still have version numbers?

I just worry about inclusion of code that isn't versioned into other projects, and I don't see the benefit of that when u can just have a package that has that code as well.

On 7/3/12 2:35 AM, "Thierry Carrez" <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Gabriel Hurley wrote:
>> On a more fundamental level, did I miss some tremendous reason why we have this "merge from common" pattern instead of making OpenStack Common a standard python dependency just like anything else? Especially with the work Monty has recently done on versioning and packaging the client libs from Jenkins, I can't see a reason to keep following this "update common and merge to everything else" pattern at all...
>
> This discussion should probably wait for markmc to come back, since he
> set up most of this framework in the first place. He would certainly
> produce a more compelling rationale than I can :)

Actually http://wiki.openstack.org/CommonLibrary explains it quite well.
In particular:

"openstack-common also provides a process for incubating APIs which,
while they are shared between multiple OpenStack projects, have not yet
matured to meet the [library inclusion] criteria described above."

"Incubation shouldn't be seen as a long term option for any API - it is
merely a stepping stone to inclusion into the openstack-common library
proper."

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack