[Openstack] best practices for merging common into specific projects

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Jul 3 09:31:27 UTC 2012

Gabriel Hurley wrote:
> On a more fundamental level, did I miss some tremendous reason why we have this "merge from common" pattern instead of making OpenStack Common a standard python dependency just like anything else? Especially with the work Monty has recently done on versioning and packaging the client libs from Jenkins, I can't see a reason to keep following this "update common and merge to everything else" pattern at all...

This discussion should probably wait for markmc to come back, since he
set up most of this framework in the first place. He would certainly
produce a more compelling rationale than I can :)

IIRC the idea was to have openstack-common APIs "in incubation" until
some of them are stable enough that we can apply backward compatibility
for them at the level expected from any other decent Python library.
When we reach this point, those stable modules would be "out of
incubation" and released in a real openstack-common library. Unstable
APIs would stay "in incubation" and still use the merge model.

My understanding is that we are not yet at this point, especially as we
tweak/enrich openstack-common modules to make them acceptable by all the
projects...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack