[Openstack] Wiki content imported into MediaWiki - please check

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Dec 18 10:03:42 UTC 2012

Ryan Lane wrote:
> I've just finished importing the content from the MoinMoin wiki into the
> MediaWiki instance. Please check the content:
>
> https://wiki-staging.openstack.org/wiki/Main_Page
>
> [...]
> Also note that the migration script doesn't map from MoinMoin to
> MediaWiki perfectly and we'll need to clean up some of the content
> manually. We'll need to create some templates for missing features too
> (like columned layout).

The most obvious issue is how ugly the new main page is :) The loss of
image inclusion and columns transformed an admittedly not perfect page
(disclaimer: I authored it) into something unreadable and very
unwelcoming. Note that it's probably the only page that uses column
layout, so maybe we can just special case the main page rather than
write a generic column-handler.

Image inclusion however is a bit more problematic, as it's being used in
several pages (like
http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Translation/Status) that are now
broken.

The second most obvious issue is the loss of the OpenStack theme on all
pages: it would be good to theme the wiki before we complete the transition.

Other issues to watch for before completing the transition:

* Broken table layouts, and no more cell background colors: See examples
at https://wiki-staging.openstack.org/wiki/GrizzlyReleaseSchedule or
https://wiki-staging.openstack.org/wiki/Releases

make sure that once the migration is completed they can still be
accessed from previous URLs (http://wiki.openstack.org/Projects) so that
we don't have to change URL pointers from other sites.

* <<TableOfContents>>: we used that macro on a lot of pages -- but I
guess we could abandon them

* Protected pages: A limited number of pages are protected in the old
wiki (mostly governance pages, main page and list of official projects)
to avoid random edits -- will this feature be kept ?

> We're going to leave the wiki up for a couple days in this state. If the content is mostly agreeable and we decide to press forward, I'll migrate the data again and we'll replace MoinMoin.

I fear we are more than just a couple of days away from being able to
migrate content in a "mostly agreeable" way, but you're the expert :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack