[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [nova] Call for Help -- OpenStack API XML Support

George Reese george.reese at enstratus.com
Fri Aug 10 20:38:58 UTC 2012

On Aug 10, 2012, at 2:52 PM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/09/2012 11:05 PM, George Reese wrote:
>> On Aug 9, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Doug Davis <dug at us.ibm.com
>> <mailto:dug at us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>> Situations like this are always interesting to watch.  :-)
>>>
>>> On the one hand its open-source, so if you care about something then
>>> put up the resources to make it happen.
>>
>> This attitude always bothers me. This isn't some Open Source labor of
>> love. It's a commercial collaboration in which many of the contributors
>> have a significant economic interest.
>>
>> To be more blunt: if I'm writing code, it's for enStratus.
>
> Patches always welcome, George. If you can't see that code you may write
> for enStratus might be globally useful, then you're missing the point of
> this open development community.
>
> And although there are many in this OpenStack community that work for a
> commercial entity and contribute code as such, there are many who don't
> -- and dismissing their contributions as "some Open Source labor of
> love" is degrading and shows the type of opinion you have towards
> anything that doesn't fit nicely in your
> everything-is-a-commercial-agenda worldview.
>
> If you care about something, then help to fix it.

Either you aren't reading what I am writing or you can't read.

I'm willing to bet I have written more lines of Open Source code over more years than you have. So don't start assigning some kind of evil capitalist motives on me.

The fact that I don't have code going into enStratus that is not of use to OpenStack is not an indication that a) I have some kind of "everything-is-a-commercial-agenda" worldview or b) that I don't do Open Source or c) I don't think that some Open Source is a labor of love.

OpenStack is a commercial agenda however. Pretending that it's a labor of love and people should feel lucky to get functionality is just daft.

-George

--
George Reese - Chief Technology Officer, enStratus
e: george.reese at enstratus.com    Skype: nspollution    t: @GeorgeReese    p: +1.207.956.0217