[Openstack] [openstack-dev] [nova] Call for Help -- OpenStack API XML Support

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 19:52:02 UTC 2012

On 08/09/2012 11:05 PM, George Reese wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 8:14 PM, Doug Davis <dug at us.ibm.com
> <mailto:dug at us.ibm.com>> wrote:
>> Situations like this are always interesting to watch.  :-)
>>
>> On the one hand its open-source, so if you care about something then
>> put up the resources to make it happen.
>
> This attitude always bothers me. This isn't some Open Source labor of
> love. It's a commercial collaboration in which many of the contributors
> have a significant economic interest.
>
> To be more blunt: if I'm writing code, it's for enStratus.

Patches always welcome, George. If you can't see that code you may write
for enStratus might be globally useful, then you're missing the point of
this open development community.

And although there are many in this OpenStack community that work for a
commercial entity and contribute code as such, there are many who don't
-- and dismissing their contributions as "some Open Source labor of
love" is degrading and shows the type of opinion you have towards
anything that doesn't fit nicely in your
everything-is-a-commercial-agenda worldview.

If you care about something, then help to fix it.

-jay