[Openstack] Community metrics, developers' engagement

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Sat Sep 24 00:33:39 UTC 2011

2011/9/8 Stefano Maffulli <smaffulli at gmail.com>:
> in the next weeks I would like to start collecting some relevant data
> about the OpenStack community. One of the reasons for this effort is
> to understand it and communicate it to the outsiders better.

I've spent a few cycles putting together some more thoughts and tools
to measure the engagement of contributors in OpenStack community. The
grand plan is to build a beautiful dashboard using business
intelligence tools, like Pentaho or something similar. I've started
putting down thoughts and ideas about the datawarehouse on
http://etherpad.openstack.org/CommunityMetrics.

Before we get there we'll need raw data, so I've started playing
around with the tools provided by the folks at FLOSSMetrics
https://projects.libresoft.es/, especially mailingliststats and
CVSanaly2. CVSanaly2 is a tool that extracts information out of source
code repository logs and stores it into a database. It works well with
git, so I fooled around with it on the nova, swift and glance
repositories (see the attached plot, as an example). I'll publish the
queries I used on the wiki early next wee. I'm planning also to play
with gitdm to see the difference.

I haven't spent too much brain power on the analysis of discussions on
mailing list because the mlstats tool expects the archives to be in a
form that we don't have at the moment. I'll do this later, or if
somebody wants to help me grab me on IRC (I'm reed there).

Hope you like this and makes you want to tell me what you want to see
tracked and measured.

cheers,
stef