[Openstack] Community metrics, developers' engagement

Todd Deshane todd.deshane at xen.org
Sun Sep 11 02:48:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Stefano Maffulli <smaffulli at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> in the next weeks I would like to start collecting some relevant data
> about the OpenStack community. One of the reasons for this effort is
> to understand it and communicate it to the outsiders better.
>
> There are lots of dimensions we can track: usage, awareness,
> developers engagement and more. Some efforts are already ongoing
> tracking awareness and usage, with the weekly report published
> semi-regularly on the blog.
>
> I would like to discuss with you ideas for other things you would like
> to see measured with regards to developers engagement in the
> community.

Xen.org is also actively engaged in a similar effort.

Here is a great resource:

http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/61/Crunching%20the%20numbers_%20Open%20Source%20Community%20Metrics%20Presentation.pdf

mlstats (referenced in the presentation) is a great mailing list
statistics tool.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Todd