[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Chris Behrens chris.behrens at RACKSPACE.COM
Wed Sep 7 18:19:57 UTC 2011

On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> The problem is that instead of spending time coding on features and
> bugs for Nova, Glance, Swift and Keystone, a bunch of devs are instead
> spending time working on an alternate solution to what has already
> been decided by the PPB, discussed publicly, and coded on for months
> by my team.

It was not discussed publicly, unless I've somehow not received a ton of email.  There was no announcement that I can find to the list that 'Gerrit' was decided by the PPB.  There was no discussion about how we might want to modify it to fit our needs.  The development all happened mostly in the private as far as I can tell.  Not a lot of room for complaints until it was implemented for a repo that a fair amount of people use.  So, now there's complaints.

> Frankly, this whole situation hearkens back to when everyone except a
> few folks on the Titan team was griping about Launchpad and Bazaar,
> saying that they "couldn't get anything done with these tools", except
> for some on the Titan team which just adapted and ended up being very
> productive using LP and Bazaar. If you guys would give Gerrit a chance
> and try to work with the toolset, instead of constantly going off and
> trying to make everything "just GitHub", I think we'd actually be able
> to get more done.
>
> Just my two cents. You can probably tell I am quite frustrated with
> this debate going on *yet again*.

I understand your frustration.  I would be too if it were my team that had done months of development on it.  But I feel some of it could have been avoided if there actually public discussion up front.

That said, Sandy just provided a list of annoyances.  Johannes has provided some as well.  I haven't seen any comments, yet, on if any of those can be addressed.

- Chris

This email may include confidential information. If you received it in error, please delete it.