[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 18:46:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Chris Behrens
<chris.behrens at rackspace.com> wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> The problem is that instead of spending time coding on features and
>> bugs for Nova, Glance, Swift and Keystone, a bunch of devs are instead
>> spending time working on an alternate solution to what has already
>> been decided by the PPB, discussed publicly, and coded on for months
>> by my team.
>>

> It was not discussed publicly, unless I've somehow not received a ton of email.  There was no announcement that I can find to the list that 'Gerrit' was decided by the PPB.

False.
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg03493.html
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-08-09-20.00.log.html

> There was no discussion about how we might want to modify it to fit our needs.

False. There was lots of discussion on it.

Some conversations about GitHub, project autonomy, and migration going
back to June:

http://www.mail-archive.com/openstack-poc@lists.launchpad.net/msg00176.html
https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack-poc/msg00150.html
http://osdir.com/ml/openstack-cloud-computing/2011-08/msg00077.html

>   The development all happened mostly in the private as far as I can tell.

False. Not a single thing about the CI environment or the automated
patch queue management has been in private. It is all on GitHub, in
public repos, and documented publically:

https://github.com/openstack/openstack-ci
http://ci.openstack.org
http://wiki.openstack.org/GerritWorkflow

> That said, Sandy just provided a list of annoyances.  Johannes has provided some as well.  I haven't seen any comments, yet, on if any of those can be addressed.

Refresh your email. LP's mailing lists are slow today. There's been
-jay