[Openstack] A possible alternative to Gerrit ...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 17:36:06 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:19 PM, Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 07, 2011, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that instead of spending time coding on features and
>> bugs for Nova, Glance, Swift and Keystone, a bunch of devs are instead
>> spending time working on an alternate solution to what has already
>> been decided by the PPB, discussed publicly, and coded on for months
>> by my team.
>
> I understand you want people to get code done.
>
> I completely agree, which is why *I'm* frustrated that it took hours to
> get Gerrit working and then later ended up having to spend a few more
> hours fighting with it after it changed silently.

Have these frustrations been resolved? If not, please ask jeblair and
mtaylor on IRC for help resolving them. I apologize for the
inconvenience it caused you.

> Tools should be making our lives easier. Github/Gerrit should be easier
> than LP/Bazaar, but that isn't the case right now.

I actually find the Gerrit review process both easier to use than LP
(no need to do a merge request, just git review and your done). I've
been using the system for 3-4 weeks now, and I am now comfortable with
it. Had a few growing pains in transitioning, but I've done dozens of
reviews and pushes now, and I'm satisfied it is a more robust system
than LP and Tarmac.

> I can understand your frustration and hopefully you can understand my
> frustration.
>
> Then hopefully we can figure out a way to avoid inflicting frustration
> on others that will run into the same problems.

That is certainly what Monty and Jim are trying to do, and why they
take seriously the input on hiccups and suggestions for improvement to
the Gerrit system in place. It is also why they are not considering
moving to another system and going through all of this all over again.

Thanks, and I appreciate your feedback.

-jay