[Openstack] Metrics around code

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Oct 19 09:34:09 UTC 2011

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> You'll find there also the implementation details to answer the
> question:
>
>         Who commited to an OpenStack repo, how many times in the past 30
>         days?
>
> and a demo report built with Pentaho Reporting representing the
> total number commits per repository in past 30 days
> http://wiki.openstack.org/CommunityMetrics/Code?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=2011-11-commits30daysallrepo-obfuscated.pdf
> [note: the email addresses are hidden on purpose]

Can an HTML report be produced and posted instead ? It feels like that
sort of information should be pullable rather than pushed, from a
well-known website, and PDF adds an extra step to access, for no real
value (is anybody going to print this ?)

> First of all: do the numbers seem correct to you? In other words, does
> the SQL query seem correct? Does the demo report look interesting to
> you? What/how would you change?

I can't really answer that question, but it looks strange to me to see
Jenkins up there (I bet he didn't author any patch).

> Then, I would like your feedback to refine the other questions we want
> to see answered regularly, regarding code (we'll move on to bugs, docs,
> etc later).
>
> Are the following reports interesting? Do we want to have them run
> monthly or weekly?

If the reports are not pushed, they can run more often. Maybe something
like "last 30 days" (refreshed every week) and then generating a report
per-milestone (at the end of every milestone) ? I think it would be good
to know who committed code for a given milestone, rather than for a
given arbitrary month.

> Is this too much information or too little? What else
> would you like to see regarding code?
>
>         * Total number of commits across all repos aggregated per month
>         * Total number of commits per repository aggregated per month

Maybe per-milestone would be more useful, though it's a bit more
difficult to do (especially since all projects do not follow the common
milestone plan).

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack