[Openstack] Metrics around code

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Tue Oct 18 21:37:04 UTC 2011

Hello folks,

I made more progress using CVSanaly to dig into our git repositories,
build a database from the git logs and extract information from it.

CVSanaly is a tool developed under a EU sponsored project (FLOSSmetrics)
and currently maintained by a few universities. More about it on
https://projects.libresoft.es/projects/cvsanaly/wiki

For the curious among us, I documented the steps to populate the
CVSanaly database with data from OpenStack git repos on a new wiki page:

http://wiki.openstack.org/CommunityMetrics/Code

You'll find there also the implementation details to answer the
question:

        Who commited to an OpenStack repo, how many times in the past 30
        days?

and a demo report built with Pentaho Reporting representing the
total number commits per repository in past 30 days
http://wiki.openstack.org/CommunityMetrics/Code?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=2011-11-commits30daysallrepo-obfuscated.pdf
[note: the email addresses are hidden on purpose]

First of all: do the numbers seem correct to you? In other words, does
the SQL query seem correct? Does the demo report look interesting to
you? What/how would you change?

Then, I would like your feedback to refine the other questions we want
to see answered regularly, regarding code (we'll move on to bugs, docs,
etc later).

Are the following reports interesting? Do we want to have them run
monthly or weekly? Is this too much information or too little? What else
would you like to see regarding code?

        * Total number of commits across all repos aggregated per month
        * Total number of commits per repository aggregated per month
        * Total number of commits per author per repository
        * Total number of commits per author per repository in past 30
        days
        * Average number of Lines of Code changed per commit per
        repository
        * Average number of Lines of Code changed per commit per
        repository per author

Also, from the list of repositories on https://github.com/openstack/,
which ones should I keep tracking?

cheers,