[Openstack] OpenStack + RDMA + Infiniband

Caitlin Bestler Caitlin.Bestler at nexenta.com
Mon Oct 3 21:21:23 UTC 2011

Narayan Desai wrote:

> I suspect that the original poster was looking for instance access
(mediated in some way) to IB gear.
> When we were trying to figure out how to best use our IB gear inside
of openstack, we decided that
> it was too risky to try exposing IB at the verbs layer to instances
directly, since the security model
> doesn't appear to have a good way to prevent administrative commands
from being issued from
> untrusted instances.

> We decided to use to IB as fast plumbing for data movement (using
IPoIB) and have ended up with
> pretty nice I/O performance to the volume service, etc. We haven't
managed to use it for much more
> than that at this point.

There's no reason to expect use of IPoIB to end up providing better
TCP/IP service for large bulk data
transfer than you would get from a quality Ethernet NIC. But if you have
an existing IB infrastructure
it is certainly worth considering. You should experiment to see whether
you get better performance
under load form IPoIB in connected mode as opposed to trying SDP.

Either IPoIB or SDP should be accessible via a standard sockets
interface,meaning they could be
plugged in without modifying the Python code or Python libraries.

The response to congestion by an IB network is different than the
response from a TCP network,
and the response of a TCP network simulated over IPoIB is something else
entirely. So you'd want
to do your evaluation with realistic traffic patterns.