[Openstack] OpenStack + RDMA + Infiniband

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 17:44:14 UTC 2011

I suspect that the original poster was looking for instance access
(mediated in some way) to IB gear. When we were trying to figure out
how to best use our IB gear inside of openstack, we decided that it
was too risky to try exposing IB at the verbs layer to instances
directly, since the security model doesn't appear to have a good way
to prevent administrative commands from being issued from untrusted
instances.

We decided to use to IB as fast plumbing for data movement (using
IPoIB) and have ended up with pretty nice I/O performance to the
volume service, etc. We haven't managed to use it for much more than
that at this point.
 -nld