[Openstack] XenAPI OpenStack Plugins

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Mon Jul 11 11:14:35 UTC 2011

2011/7/11 Todd Deshane <todd.deshane at xen.org>:
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Soren Hansen <soren at linux2go.dk> wrote:
>> 2011/7/7 Todd Deshane <todd.deshane at xen.org>:
>>> The Kronos audience will not use this RPM, but instead will want
>>> Debian packages. So at that point, we could either extend the Makefile
>>> and add Debian packaging information or alternatively we could use the
>>> OpenStack Ubuntu packagers [4] infrastructure to build and distribute
>>> the Debian packages containing the XenAPI OpenStack plugins.
>>
>> I'd much prefer the latter. (Note: I'm one of the drivers of the
>> openstack-ubuntu-packagers team)
> So Naveed already beat me to the packaging script and they are in fact
> already in nova trunk. I think going forward packaging should be done
> outside of the tree, but this RPM is a special use case and directly
> packages files in the tree (no compilation necessary).

How is this different from all other packaging? The Ubuntu packaging
doesn't pack anything that isn't in the tree either (and if this
plugin was packaged for Ubuntu, it would need to follow that exact
same rules in terms of what needs to be byte-compiled and what doesn't
as every other package providing python code).

> This (similar patch) has already been merged:
> https://code.launchpad.net/~rackspace-titan/nova/xenapi-plugins-rpm

Figures.

>>> To summarize the implicit questions:
>>> 1) Is the plan to have the RPM build scripts in the nova tree acceptable?
[...]
>> That said, I'd be happy to have the binary RPM be built on our
>> infrastructure, but I believe the code belongs outside.
> What infrastructure are you referring to here?

It's hard to say. This is new territory, since we're not building any
RPM packages at the moment, so I can't point to something and say
"right alongside that thing". :)  I imagine, though, that they'll be
built by Jenkins and then published somewhere (such as
http://nova.openstack.org/rpms or whatnot).

> Naveed has a Jenkins
> build script that he has shared with me that builds an RPM on each
> successful commit.

Where can we find that?

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/