[Openstack] XenAPI OpenStack Plugins

Todd Deshane todd.deshane at xen.org
Mon Jul 11 03:43:06 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Soren Hansen <soren at linux2go.dk> wrote:
> 2011/7/7 Todd Deshane <todd.deshane at xen.org>:
>> I'd like to propose adding packaging scripts (a Makefile and a RPM
>> spec file) [0] to the nova tree in plugins/xenserver/xenapi to make
>> the setup process for Xen Cloud Platform (XCP) OpenStack admins
>> simpler (specifically removing the need to have a nova source code
>> check to *use* the plugins, like the developers do [1]).
>
> If these packages are to be distributed through Xen.org anyway, why
> does the average openstack admin need to build them?

The idea was that the build scripts are available in a convenient
place is all. The non-Xen OpenStack users wouldn't build them and
wouldn't be required to.

>> The Kronos audience will not use this RPM, but instead will want
>> Debian packages. So at that point, we could either extend the Makefile
>> and add Debian packaging information or alternatively we could use the
>> OpenStack Ubuntu packagers [4] infrastructure to build and distribute
>> the Debian packages containing the XenAPI OpenStack plugins.
>
> I'd much prefer the latter. (Note: I'm one of the drivers of the
> openstack-ubuntu-packagers team)

So Naveed already beat me to the packaging script and they are in fact
already in nova trunk. I think going forward packaging should be done
outside of the tree, but this RPM is a special use case and directly
packages files in the tree (no compilation necessary).

This (similar patch) has already been merged:
https://code.launchpad.net/~rackspace-titan/nova/xenapi-plugins-rpm

>> To summarize the implicit questions:
>>
>> 1) Is the plan to have the RPM build scripts in the nova tree acceptable?
>
> My gut feeling is "no". We intentionally kept the Ubuntu/Debian
> packaging outside nova proper. It'll never keep up with the actual
> packaging anyway and doing packaging is a separate effort from doing
> "upstream" development.
>
> That said, I'd be happy to have the binary RPM be built on our
> infrastructure, but I believe the code belongs outside.

What infrastructure are you referring to here? Naveed has a Jenkins
build script that he has shared with me that builds an RPM on each
successful commit.

> --
> Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
> Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/