[Openstack] XenAPI OpenStack Plugins

Todd Deshane todd.deshane at xen.org
Mon Jul 11 19:04:05 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Soren Hansen <soren at linux2go.dk> wrote:
> 2011/7/11 Todd Deshane <todd.deshane at xen.org>:
>>>
>>> I'd much prefer the latter. (Note: I'm one of the drivers of the
>>> openstack-ubuntu-packagers team)
>> So Naveed already beat me to the packaging script and they are in fact
>> already in nova trunk. I think going forward packaging should be done
>> outside of the tree, but this RPM is a special use case and directly
>> packages files in the tree (no compilation necessary).
>
> How is this different from all other packaging? The Ubuntu packaging
> doesn't pack anything that isn't in the tree either (and if this
> plugin was packaged for Ubuntu, it would need to follow that exact
> same rules in terms of what needs to be byte-compiled and what doesn't
> as every other package providing python code).

I guess it is not. Maybe we should try to move the packaging script
into an external project similar to your project?

I'd just like to make the user experience (openstack + XCP admins) as
easy-to-use and seamless as possible.

>>> That said, I'd be happy to have the binary RPM be built on our
>>> infrastructure, but I believe the code belongs outside.
>> What infrastructure are you referring to here?
>
> It's hard to say. This is new territory, since we're not building any
> RPM packages at the moment, so I can't point to something and say
> "right alongside that thing". :)  I imagine, though, that they'll be
> built by Jenkins and then published somewhere (such as
> http://nova.openstack.org/rpms or whatnot).

This seems like a good strategy in the long run.

>> Naveed has a Jenkins
>> build script that he has shared with me that builds an RPM on each
>> successful commit.
>
> Where can we find that?

http://paste.openstack.org/show/1864/

Naveed is running this on a Jenkins instance and Xen.org/Citrix was
planning to do the same with an internal Jenkins instance and host the
RPMs on downloads.xen.org, but if you would prefer to have this on a
public OpenStack jenkins instance that with RPMs that are publicly
available to users that would reduce our administrative burden a bit
and keep everything in the public.

Just let me know where you want to go with this and what it will take
to get there.

Thanks,
Todd