[Openstack] HPC with Openstack?

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Sat Dec 3 19:11:01 UTC 2011

At CERN, we are also faced with similar thoughts as we look to the cloud on how to match the VM creation performance (typically O(minutes)) with the required batch job system rates for a single program (O(sub-second)).

Data locality to aim that the job runs close to the source data makes this more difficult along with fair share to align the priority of the jobs to achieve the agreed quota between competing requests for limited and shared resource.  The classic IaaS model of 'have credit card, will compute' does not apply for some private cloud use cases/users.

We would be interested to discuss further with other sites.  There is further background from OpenStack Boston at http://vimeo.com/31678577.

Tim
tim.bell at cern.ch