[Openstack] HPC with Openstack?

Muriel mucawhite at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 17:19:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Sandy Walsh <sandy.walsh at rackspace.com> wrote:
> I've recently had inquiries about High Performance Computing (HPC) on Openstack. As opposed to the Service Provider (SP) model, HPC is interested in fast provisioning, potentially short lifetime instances with precision metrics and scheduling. Real-time vs. Eventually.
>
> Anyone planning on using Openstack in that way?
>
> If so, I'll direct those inquires to this thread.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Sandy

We are working on a cluster  where the nodes are allocated dynamically
to the OpenStack environment. We plan to distribute the images with a
distributed filesystem like GPFS or Lustre, or via bittorrent. We
would like to include in OpenStack the advanced reservation of
resources and the integration with the current cluster queue manager
(Grid Engine and LFS).

I'm not sure that all points will be realized​, but this is the idea.

Cheers,
Muriel