[Openstack] Moving code hosting to GitHub

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Wed Apr 27 15:26:31 UTC 2011

2011/4/26 Thomas Goirand <thomas at goirand.fr>:
> On 04/27/2011 02:24 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:
>>> Re-read then. What you believe are opinions might well be seen by their
>>> authors as useful and accurate points.
>> And you find this to be true only for the people commenting in favour of
>> git?
> No. Just commenting on your "Opinions have been voiced, that's all",
> which I don't agree with. To me, there's been accurate and useful strong
> points in this thread (on both sides).

Fair enough. My main point was simply that summarising the discussion as
"It's much eaiser to try to get your changes merged into a project that
uses git." isn't useful nor accurate.

Both "sides" have made arguments, voiced opinions, etc. No consensus has
been reached.

>> Depends *very* much on the people. If you just sit down and learn the
>> 3-5 commands needed to get working, the cost is very, very small.
> Knowing 3-5 commands isn't enough,

To get working, yes. To be an expert, no.

bzr lp-login
(bzr init-repo)
bzr branch
(bzr add)
bzr commit
bzr push

..are sufficient to just get started.

> and that's most of the time the issues with "using bzr for git users"
> tutorials: they tend to think that you're ok with the most basics
> command, and that you wont ever need more. Truth is you do, and
> finding the relevant information for the thing you need takes time (a
> big cost, to use your own words...).  If you find a "learning quickly
> advanced bzr commands for git users" type of tutorial, I might change
> my mind! :)

If you can explain what sort of stuff you've had a hard time finding, I
can probably whip up something that will be helpful to others.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/