[Openstack] Moving code hosting to GitHub

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Wed Apr 27 16:59:29 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 11:26 PM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> To get working, yes. To be an expert, no.
>
> bzr lp-login
> (bzr init-repo)
> bzr branch
> (bzr add)
> bzr commit
> bzr push
>
> ..are sufficient to just get started.

No, I don't agree, it's not enough. See below.

>> and that's most of the time the issues with "using bzr for git users"
>> tutorials: they tend to think that you're ok with the most basics
>> command, and that you wont ever need more. Truth is you do, and
>> finding the relevant information for the thing you need takes time (a
>> big cost, to use your own words...).  If you find a "learning quickly
>> advanced bzr commands for git users" type of tutorial, I might change
>> my mind! :)
>
> If you can explain what sort of stuff you've had a hard time finding, I
> can probably whip up something that will be helpful to others.

Thanks for this.

Just out of my mind... What's the equivalent of:

- git reset --hard <sha256>
- git commit -a --amend (to correct the latest commit)
- git format-patch <sha256>
- or maybe instead: git diff -u -r <sha256> -r <sha256>
- git push --force (you told me, but I forgot... is that bzr push
--overwrite?)
- git cherry-pick -x
- git -r branch (does listing branches on the remote side even make
sense with bzr?)
- git tag (to list tags, as bzr tag <tagname> seems working)

There must be more than I can't recall just now, in 5 minutes of deep
thoughts. Also, one thing I love with git, is that I can always do "man
git-command" if I want help with "command", and there's more than 100 of
them. Is this available somehow? The 2200 lines of bzr.1 aren't much
compared to:
zigo at node3320:/usr/share/man/man1$ find . -iname 'git*' -exec zcat {} \;
| wc -l
46362

It's not that I had hard time finding them, I'm sure they are somewhere
in doc.bazaar.canonical.org. It's more that I would expect to find these
in a quick-start tutorial, when in fact, it seems spread across a huge
doc, which I have no time reading. I'm sure it would help to have at
least the above gathered in a document like:

http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/migration/en/survival/bzr-for-git-users.html

which I didn't find very helpful.

Thomas