[Openstack] OpenStack automate replication

Jesse Andrews anotherjesse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 20:46:37 UTC 2011

What to do when an instance dies is application specific.

Some applications may not care, autoscaling back to the proper size by
themselves. Other applications may need the resources to be returned in the
most recent state.

Currently openstack requires the user to handle recovery.

I expect there will be an option to mark a virtual machine as "HA" which
would attempt to relaunch on crashes. How exactly to implement it will
depend on the cloud requirements. If the instances are backed to a SAN or
distributed filesystem (like ceph) the VM can be relaunched with all state
that has been flushed to disk. On a cloud with local disk only, the
scheduled snapshotting could allow the vm to a recent state.

Or HA could mean relaunch the image (ala autoscale)

What use case are you thinking about?

Jesse