[Openstack-sigs] [First Contact][SIG] [PTG] online communication software

Adam Spiers aspiers at suse.com
Fri Mar 16 16:56:47 UTC 2018

Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>On 2018-03-16 12:07:35 +0800 (+0800), Zhipeng Huang wrote:
>> I think non-eng mailing-list will not be utilized as we intent it
>> to, the same thing happens with non-eng irc channel as well. I
>> would suggest just pick a tool that people in the specific area
>> enjoys using, for example wechat in China, Line/Slack in Japan,
>> etc.
>[...]
>
>It would be unfortunate to recommend closed/proprietary services to
>new contributors, as that sets a very negative first impression of
>our community's priorities. However, I suppose any opportunity to
>communicate is an opportunity to help introduce them to free and
>open alternatives to those commercial walled gardens.

Agreed (strongly) on both points.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the adoption of IRC like in Asia?
Are there any barriers to use in China?

I'd also be curious to hear the community's thoughts on Matrix:

    https://matrix.org/

To me it seems like a very exciting contender for "IRC 2.0" - bringing
all the shiny new Slack-like features that many people enjoy these
days, without sacrificing any freedom or openness, thanks to its
Apache 2.0 licensing and decentralised federated architecture.

And it even has a built-in bridge with Freenode, which I find
extremely useful during summits and PTGs, because then I get
IRC-bouncer-like functionality synchronised between my phone and
laptop, so I never miss a message even if I drop off the conference
wifi for a while.