[Openstack-operators] How do you handle purge of database tables ?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Jun 25 15:42:05 UTC 2016

On 6/23/2016 10:21 AM, Belmiro Moreira wrote:
> Hi,
> we wrote this blog post a year ago but it still can be useful depending
> on the
> OpenStack version that you are running.
>
> http://openstack-in-production.blogspot.ch/2015/05/purging-nova-databases-in-cell.html
>
> Belmiro

This looks similar to what was being worked on in nova for the purge
instances command [1]. As noted elsewhere in this thread, the blueprint
for that is going to be re-proposed for Ocata since it missed the freeze
for Newton.

It'd be good to collaborate on these tools within Nova so that we can
unit test them with the rest of the code base to make sure we don't
regress this functionality when new tables are added (we have a
functional test that boots a server and then deletes it and makes sure
we can archive/purge).

The main difference from the CERN script is going to be in the cells v1
support, which is probably not something we'll bake into the command
that lives in nova since cells v1 is frozen as we work on cells v2 support.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/203751/

Matt Riedemann