[Openstack-operators] How do you handle purge of database tables ?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Jun 25 15:34:44 UTC 2016

On 6/23/2016 8:32 AM, Nick Jones wrote:
>> On Thu, 2016-06-23 at 09:55 +0100, Nick Jones wrote:
>>> Another vote of confidence for the script that Tim has mentioned with
>>> regards to clearing down Nova’s DB.  I blogged a bit about the process
>>> and the results here:
>>>

>>> http://dischord.org/2015/12/30/archiving-data-in-nova-s-database/
>>>

>> In Nova, there's 'nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows' - is that the one
>> referred to in the blog post above that broke?
>
> That’s the one.
>

> -Nick

nova-manage db archive_deleted_rows is fixed in newton [1] which was
also backported to stable/mitaka [2].

The purge-deleted-instances-cmd blueprint [3] wasn't re-proposed in time
for Newton but will probably be done in Ocata as some new people have
expressed interest in picking that back up.

Nova is also migrating some tables to the API database and as part of
that we are dropping the SoftDeleteMixin so when things are deleted from
the Nova API database they are gone, not soft deleted.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/299474/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/326730/
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/purge-deleted-instances-cmd

Matt Riedemann