[Openstack-operators] Mitaka live snapshot of instances not working

Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com
Thu Aug 25 12:27:02 UTC 2016

Hi,

In my previous mail I have indicated the link to website of Kashyap that provides the sequence for cold snapshot and not live snapshot.

Could you try the sequence specified in comment ‘Kashyap Chamarthy (kashyapc)<https://launchpad.net/~kashyapc> wrote on 2014-06-27’ in [1] ?
Libvirt API equivalent of virsh managedsave is not something that is used in live snapshot according to that (I haven’t checked source code myself)

BR,
Konstantin
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1334398

From: Michael Stang [mailto:michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de]
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2016 8:48 AM
To: Volenbovskyi Kostiantyn, INI-ON-FIT-CXD-ELC <Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com>; Saverio Proto <zioproto at gmail.com>
Cc: openstack-operators at lists.openstack.org
Subject: RE: [Openstack-operators] Mitaka live snapshot of instances not working

Hi Konstantin, hi Saverio

thank you for your answers.

I checked the version, these are

libvirt 1.3.1-1ubuntu10.1~cloud0
qemu  1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.2~cloud0

at our installation, system is Ubuntu 14.04.

I tried also the following from [2]

Command:

nova image-create test "snap_of_test" --poll
Result: Server snapshotting... 25% completeERROR (NotFound): Image not found. (HTTP 404)

Then I started trying step by step as in [2] but failed at the first step already:

Command:

virsh managedsave instance-00000367

Result:

error: Failed to save domain instance-00000367 state
error: internal error: unable to execute QEMU command 'migrate': Migration disabled: failed to allocate shared memory

I also checked on the compute nodes the directories:

/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save/
/var/lib/nova/instances/snapshots/

there is 257G free space and the instance only has 1GB root disk, so I think its not missing space.

So is this maybe a problem with qemu? How can i enable 'migrate' and why is it disabled?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Michael

> Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com<mailto:Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com> hat am 24. August 2016 um 14:51 geschrieben:
>

> Hi,
> extract from [1] ((side note: I couldn't find that in config reference for Mitaka) is:
> "disable_libvirt_livesnapshot = True
> (BoolOpt) When using libvirt 1.2.2 live snapshots fail intermittently under load. This config option provides a mechanism to enable live snapshot while this is resolved. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1334398"
>
> I am not sure if Nova behaves like that in case you have disable_libvirt_livesnapshot=True (default in Liberty and Mitaka apparently...)
> In case it is not about that, then I would try to do it manually using something like [2] as guideline to see if it succeeds using Libvirt/QEMU without Nova.
>
> BR,
> Konstantin
> [1] http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/list-of-compute-config-options.html
> [2] https://kashyapc.com/2013/03/11/openstack-nova-image-create-under-the-hood/

Viele Grüße

Michael Stang
Laboringenieur, Dipl. Inf. (FH)

Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mannheim
ZeMath Zentrum für mathematisch-naturwissenschaftliches Basiswissen
Fachbereich Informatik, Fakultät Technik
Coblitzallee 1-9
68163 Mannheim

Tel.: +49 (0)621 4105 - 1367

[http://www.dhbw-mannheim.de/fileadmin/media/mail/signatur/dhbw_logo_mail.jpg]