[Openstack-operators] Mitaka live snapshot of instances not working

Michael Stang michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de
Thu Aug 25 06:48:20 UTC 2016

Hi Konstantin, hi Saverio

thank you for your answers.

I checked the version, these are

libvirt 1.3.1-1ubuntu10.1~cloud0
qemu  1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.2~cloud0

at our installation, system is Ubuntu 14.04.

I tried also the following from [2]

Command:

nova image-create test "snap_of_test" --poll

Result: Server snapshotting... 25% completeERROR (NotFound): Image not found.
(HTTP 404)

Then I started trying step by step as in [2] but failed at the first step
already:

Command:

virsh managedsave instance-00000367

Result:

error: Failed to save domain instance-00000367 state
error: internal error: unable to execute QEMU command 'migrate': Migration
disabled: failed to allocate shared memory

I also checked on the compute nodes the directories:

/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save/
/var/lib/nova/instances/snapshots/

there is 257G free space and the instance only has 1GB root disk, so I think its
not missing space.

So is this maybe a problem with qemu? How can i enable 'migrate' and why is it
disabled?

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,
Michael

> Kostiantyn.Volenbovskyi at swisscom.com hat am 24. August 2016 um 14:51
> geschrieben:
>

> Hi,
> extract from [1] ((side note: I couldn't find that in config reference for
> Mitaka) is:
> "disable_libvirt_livesnapshot = True
> (BoolOpt) When using libvirt 1.2.2 live snapshots fail intermittently under
> load. This config option provides a mechanism to enable live snapshot while
> this is resolved. See https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1334398"
>
> I am not sure if Nova behaves like that in case you have
> disable_libvirt_livesnapshot=True (default in Liberty and Mitaka
> apparently...)
> In case it is not about that, then I would try to do it manually using
> something like [2] as guideline to see if it succeeds using Libvirt/QEMU
> without Nova.
>
> BR,
> Konstantin
> [1]
> http://docs.openstack.org/liberty/config-reference/content/list-of-compute-config-options.html
> [2]
> https://kashyapc.com/2013/03/11/openstack-nova-image-create-under-the-hood/

Viele Grüße

Michael Stang
Laboringenieur, Dipl. Inf. (FH)

Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg Mannheim
Baden-Wuerttemberg Cooperative State University Mannheim
ZeMath Zentrum für mathematisch-naturwissenschaftliches Basiswissen
Fachbereich Informatik, Fakultät Technik
Coblitzallee 1-9
68163 Mannheim

Tel.: +49 (0)621 4105 - 1367
michael.stang at dhbw-mannheim.de