[Openstack-operators] nova resize on shared storage

Antonio Messina antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:22:17 UTC 2016

> Hi,
>
> so for this moment we have 2 options:
> - somehow check every time that nodes are on shared storage(now it's done
> over ssh)
> - define that shared storage explicitly()
> The possible workaround for the first option is to use RPC for checking that
> temporarily created test file exists(more RPC calls).

This sounds like a sane idea as well.

> For the second option(I think the most preferable) there is a bp [1] that
> introduce abstraction that allows set up such shared storages.

Please note that "shared storage" is a relation between two compute
nodes: "do we share the same storage?". In a complex enough cloud you
might have nodes with shared storage and "standalone" nodes, so you
cannot use a global config option.

The linked blueprint seems to go in the right direction (although I
could only make sense of it after reading the related spec page:
http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/approved/generic-resource-pools.html)

Alternatively we could use  an host aggregate property, like
"shared_storage=<label>". All nodes with the same label also share the
same storage. But I personally like the resource-pool idea better.

my 2 cents.

.a.

antonio.s.messina at gmail.com
antonio.messina at uzh.ch                     +41 (0)44 635 42 22