[Openstack-operators] nova resize on shared storage

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 14:26:46 UTC 2016

Timofei, thanks for bringing up the resource providers work; it is
absolutely trying to solve the problem highlighted in this post.
Antonio, comments inline.

On 08/08/2016 05:22 AM, Antonio Messina wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> so for this moment we have 2 options:
>> - somehow check every time that nodes are on shared storage(now it's done
>> over ssh)
>> - define that shared storage explicitly()
>> The possible workaround for the first option is to use RPC for checking that
>> temporarily created test file exists(more RPC calls).
>
> This sounds like a sane idea as well.
>
>> For the second option(I think the most preferable) there is a bp [1] that
>> introduce abstraction that allows set up such shared storages.
>
> Please note that "shared storage" is a relation between two compute
> nodes: "do we share the same storage?". In a complex enough cloud you
> might have nodes with shared storage and "standalone" nodes, so you
> cannot use a global config option.
>
> The linked blueprint seems to go in the right direction (although I
> could only make sense of it after reading the related spec page:
> http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/nova-specs/specs/newton/approved/generic-resource-pools.html)

Please do let us know if you have questions regarding the proposed
implementation in the spec above. We are actively working on this code
and our goal is to have the resource tracker in Nova writing inventory
and allocation records by the Newton release, with integrations of the
Nova scheduler and conductor with the placement API coming in Ocata.

Best,
-jay