[Openstack-operators] Gentoo image availability

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Tue Jun 9 02:46:43 UTC 2015

On 06/08/2015 09:17 PM, George Shuklin wrote:
> Nice to hear.
>
> You're doing a great job!
>
> Few things to make Gentoo 'first class citizen' for openstack (guest).
>
> 1. Check if you supports for all eth's, not only eth0. If instance boots
> with two or more interfaces, it should be able to get all it addresses.
>
> 2. Add Gentoo 'element'  to disk-image-builder
> (https://github.com/openstack/diskimage-builder)
>
> 3. Ship image with proper cloud-init cloud.cfg
>

> On 06/08/2015 06:26 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm the packager of Openstack on Gentoo and have just started generation
>> of Gentoo Openstack images.  Right now it is just a basic amd64 image,
>> but I plan on adding nomultilib and hardened variants (for a total of at
>> least 4 images).  I plan on generating these images at least weekly
>>
>> These images are not yet sanctioned by our infra team, but I plan on
>> remedying that (being a member of said team should help).
>>
>> I am currently using the scripts at
>> https://github.com/prometheanfire/gentoo-cloud-prep to generate the
>> images (based on a heavily modified version of Matt Vandermeulen's
>> scripts).  If you have any issues please submit bugs there or contact me
>> on irc (prometheanfire on freenode).
>>
>> Here's the link to the images, I'm currently gpg signing them with the
>> same key I use to sign this email (offline master key smartcard setup
>> for security minded folk).
>>
>> http://23.253.251.73/
>>
>> Let me know if you have questions,

Ya, not sure how to do multi-interface yet.  I'd love if the cloud-init
static ip support would work with it. (hash with macs being the key and
a list of IPs being the value for each interface).  Then dhcp can go
away (I tend to much prefer config-drive).

The disk-image-builder support is on my todo list already :D

I just updated the cloud-init ebuild with a better cloud.cfg, could
probably use more love, but it works.

I am working on getting gentoo as a first class citizen in
openstack-ansible as well, which depends on the disk-image-builder work.
 So much work still to do :D

--
Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)