[Openstack-operators] flavor management

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Tue Apr 2 15:15:42 UTC 2013

Hi Jon,

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:

> It would be nice to do per project flavors, wouldn't it...
>
> Currently all our cloud hardware is homogeneous so we divide available
> resources into proportional chunks, so mcuh memory and ephemeral disk
> (provided from node local storage) per vCPU.  It's rather simplistic and
> still heavily influenced by the default flavors (all have a 10G root with
> the rest of the block storage  as an ephemeral vdb)
>
> We do have one flavor with a 40G root named "m1.windows" but don't provide
> a public windows image and as far as I know noone but administrators in my
> group have used it for testing (not a big windows demand here).

Interesting. We had a "w1.large" flavor for a short period but ended up
removing it because we wanted all flavors to be able to work with all
images.

> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:
>

>> Boot from Volume might be a possibility, but does anyone have a procedure
>> to create a Windows bootable volume?
>>

> With the large caveat that I don't have any Windows instances I do have a
> thought on where I'd start, given there's been no other response (on list
> anyway)
>
> 1st cinder is meant to be able to create volumes based on glance images
> (--image-id <image-id>), which would be delightful, but hasn't worked for
> me and I haven't had a chance to look at why, so unsure if this is a local
> issue for me or a bug.

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give this a shot.

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.