[Openstack-operators] flavor management

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Tue Apr 2 14:47:50 UTC 2013

It would be nice to do per project flavors, wouldn't it...

Currently all our cloud hardware is homogeneous so we divide available
resources into proportional chunks, so mcuh memory and ephemeral disk
(provided from node local storage) per vCPU.  It's rather simplistic and
still heavily influenced by the default flavors (all have a 10G root with
the rest of the block storage  as an ephemeral vdb)

We do have one flavor with a 40G root named "m1.windows" but don't provide
a public windows image and as far as I know noone but administrators in my
group have used it for testing (not a big windows demand here).

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:

> Boot from Volume might be a possibility, but does anyone have a procedure
> to create a Windows bootable volume?

With the large caveat that I don't have any Windows instances I do have a
thought on where I'd start, given there's been no other response (on list
anyway)

1st cinder is meant to be able to create volumes based on glance images
(--image-id <image-id>), which would be delightful, but hasn't worked for
me and I haven't had a chance to look at why, so unsure if this is a local
issue for me or a bug.

Failing that I'd create the volume in cinder then attach it directly to a
linux host somewhere and either run the install directly using appropriate
virtualization tools or grab an existing windows image from glance (either
just by grabbing the file or using glance image-download depending on your
setup)

-Jon