[Openstack-operators] flavor management

Joe Topjian joe.topjian at cybera.ca
Tue Apr 2 16:48:18 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 9:15 AM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM, Jonathan Proulx <jon at jonproulx.com> wrote:
>
>> It would be nice to do per project flavors, wouldn't it...
>>
>> Currently all our cloud hardware is homogeneous so we divide available
>> resources into proportional chunks, so mcuh memory and ephemeral disk
>> (provided from node local storage) per vCPU.  It's rather simplistic and
>> still heavily influenced by the default flavors (all have a 10G root with
>> the rest of the block storage  as an ephemeral vdb)
>>
>> We do have one flavor with a 40G root named "m1.windows" but don't
>> provide a public windows image and as far as I know noone but
>> administrators in my group have used it for testing (not a big windows
>> demand here).
>>

> Interesting. We had a "w1.large" flavor for a short period but ended up
> removing it because we wanted all flavors to be able to work with all
> images.
>

>> On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Joe Topjian <joe.topjian at cybera.ca>wrote:
>>

>>> Boot from Volume might be a possibility, but does anyone have a
>>> procedure to create a Windows bootable volume?
>>>

>> With the large caveat that I don't have any Windows instances I do have a
>> thought on where I'd start, given there's been no other response (on list
>> anyway)
>>
>> 1st cinder is meant to be able to create volumes based on glance images
>> (--image-id <image-id>), which would be delightful, but hasn't worked for
>> me and I haven't had a chance to look at why, so unsure if this is a local
>> issue for me or a bug.
>>

> Thanks for the tip. I'm going to give this a shot.

This worked for me. The only change I had to make was adding "glance_host="
to my cinder.conf file. There are some other glance options (
https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/etc/cinder/cinder.conf.sample#L92-L111)
but once glance_host was set, the defaults were applicable to my
environment.

Next, I created a volume using the --image-id flag:

cinder create --image-id=a9b4535f-c56e-4816-b6aa-a3caef7dbba4
--display-name=win2k8r2vol 30

Does anyone know off of the top of their head if this is possible to do
through Horizon in Grizzly?

Finally, I launched an instance via Horizon. The only clunky thing was
having to specify an image even though it's ignored. The docs correctly
mention that this is a bug (
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/boot-from-volume.html),
but it's supposed to have been fixed in Grizzly. Does anyone have a Grizzly
environment to test this out and confirm it's fixed (especially in
Horizon)? If not, I'll try to do this relatively soon.