[Openstack-operators] VM with a public IP

Kiall Mac Innes kiall at managedit.ie
Tue Aug 14 08:02:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Paul Walton <paul.d.walton at gmail.com>wrote:

> So, as I understand things so far, OpenStack assumes that I have my own
> subnet of public IPs that I can freely use for my VMs?  I can't imagine
> this being a reasonable design assumption to make on their part.  Perhaps
> I'm overlooking something?

As others as explained, but I don't believe as clearly as possible, you
likely can fit OpenStack into your existing network.

I'll see if I can do better - the 'nova-network' service runs on 1 or more
servers, each of these servers (which may also host the 'nova-compute'
services - but not necessarily) must have a network interface on your
public subnet.

This subnet is currently managed by your organisations DHCP. If you can ask
your network admins to reserve/exclude a selection of IPs from DHCP
allocation, and if your network setup will allow those IPs to be used by
simply assigning to one of the 'nova-network' servers, you can use
OpenStack without problems.

These IPs need not be contiguous - eg you can be allocated 1.0.0.1, 1.0.0.5
and 1.0.0.10 and this will work.

At that point - those IP's can be added as floating IPs in nova, and
assigned to instances on any of the 'nova-compute' servers.

Thanks,
Kiall