[OpenStack-Infra] [OpenStack-docs] [infra][docs] Steps to migrate docs.o.o to new AFS based server

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Jan 3 19:40:47 UTC 2017

On 01/03/2017 03:57 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 01/03/2017 03:43 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2017-01-03 08:01:42 +0100 (+0100), Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>> [...]
>>> 3) Create docs-archived content so that we can still access any
>>>    content that wasn't published recently:
>>>    a) Resync the mirror at http://files.openstack.org/docs-old/
>>>    b) Serve the content via docs-archived.openstack.org (see
>>>       https://review.openstack.org/416148 )
>>>    c) Add external IP address
>>>    c) Update 404 handler to point to docs-archived.
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm a little unclear on what step "c" is supposed to be there... all
>> our servers already have "external" (globally routable) IP
>> addresses.
>
> Add docs-archived.openstack.org DNS entry.
>
>> As for step "d" that could presumably get confusing if someone
>> requests a page that doesn't exist at either site, since they'll get
>> an error about a missing page at docs-archive.o.o instead of
>> docs.o.o (maybe that's fine, I don't have much insight into reader
>> expectations). Is the longer-term plan to review analytics for page
>> hits against docs-archive to figure out what else should be copied
>> over to docs.o.o manually, or incorporated/reintroduced into
>> documentation builds?
>
> Have a look what happens currently:
> http://docs-beta.openstack.org/bla
>
> Yes, it could be confusing. The idea was to wait for bug reports - and I
> don't really expect any since all links should work (I run a spider on
> docs-beta).
>
> We will not add anything again in documentation builds, this is really
> historic data,

We just discussed this in the infra meeting and since we can rebuild old
documentation if really needed manually (which might be tricky since it
needs older tools and maybe older packages/distro), we do not need
docs-archived. We have all the content on files.openstack.org/docs-old
and can access it there - via anonymous AFS or http,

new plan coming in a minute,
Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)