[OpenStack-Infra] [OpenStack-docs] [infra][docs] Steps to migrate docs.o.o to new AFS based server

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Tue Jan 3 14:57:50 UTC 2017

On 01/03/2017 03:43 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2017-01-03 08:01:42 +0100 (+0100), Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> [...]
>> 3) Create docs-archived content so that we can still access any
>>    content that wasn't published recently:
>>    a) Resync the mirror at http://files.openstack.org/docs-old/
>>    b) Serve the content via docs-archived.openstack.org (see
>>       https://review.openstack.org/416148 )
>>    c) Add external IP address
>>    c) Update 404 handler to point to docs-archived.
> [...]
>
> I'm a little unclear on what step "c" is supposed to be there... all
> our servers already have "external" (globally routable) IP
> addresses.

Add docs-archived.openstack.org DNS entry.

> As for step "d" that could presumably get confusing if someone
> requests a page that doesn't exist at either site, since they'll get
> an error about a missing page at docs-archive.o.o instead of
> docs.o.o (maybe that's fine, I don't have much insight into reader
> expectations). Is the longer-term plan to review analytics for page
> hits against docs-archive to figure out what else should be copied
> over to docs.o.o manually, or incorporated/reintroduced into
> documentation builds?

Have a look what happens currently:
http://docs-beta.openstack.org/bla

Yes, it could be confusing. The idea was to wait for bug reports - and I
don't really expect any since all links should work (I run a spider on
docs-beta).

We will not add anything again in documentation builds, this is really
historic data,

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)